* Application of friction welding
1. Automotive components
Engine valve,Propeller shaft, Cam shaft, Drive shaft etc.
2. Construction machine components : Track roller, Guide bush, Piston rod etc.
3. Machining tool : Drill, Tap, End mill etc.
4. Electronic parts & Piping work parts :
Motor shaft, Electric connector, High pressure hose etc.
5. Etc. : Drill pipe, Debar coupler etc.
In friction welding one component is rotated and one component is held stationary.
The part that is rotated is brought into contact with the stationary component
and when enough heat has been generated to bring the components to a plastic state and the desired burn off has been achieved, rotation is stopped. More axial force is then applied between the two components resulting in a solid state bond at the interface forming a friction welded joint.
* Advantage of Friction Welding
- Low energy consumption
- No arcs, sparks, smoke or flames
- Constant quality is maintained and monitored.
- No air hole at welding points
- No filler material, fluxor shield gas
- Ability to weld dissimilar metal.
- No particular end preparation before welding
- Welding cycle time is short and high efficiency.
- Easily automated for mass production.